Reviews, Commentary and Opinions on Midwest Craft Beer and Microbreweries


Beer Reviews

Copper Kettle Weiss

New Glarus Brewing Company
New Glarus, WI

Style: Dunkelweizen
ABV: 6.0%

Eddie’s Rating:
one beerone beerone beerone beerone beer   (Outstanding within its style.)

Roughly 73 percent of the people who’ve watched me pour a beer from a bottle tell me I’m doing it wrong. The other 27 percent think I’m pouring it wrong but they’re kind enough to keep their damn yaps shut. I get my beer from bottle to glass by following the Randy Mosher school of thought: place the glass on the table and pour the beer right down the center of the glass. All the armchair pourers watching me usually gasp in horror and haughtily inform me that my barbaric pouring method produces too much head. “Don’t you know anything about beer!” they scream. Apparently, terrorism, mad cow disease, bird flu, nuclear war, public speaking and too much head on one’s beer are the average person’s most dreaded fears.

I’m not going to debate how to pour a beer in this review, but I will tell you that if you pour a beer like me and you want to try New Glarus’s Copper Kettle Weiss, you better have some time on your hands. An average pour will yield six good inches of thick-bubbled foam. And that’s just from pouring half the bottle. While it settles you can go milk the cows, then come back and pour the rest of the bottle in the glass. Be careful, though, because it might still overflow after all that, and it’d be a damn shame to waste a single drop of this fine beer.

The Copper Kettle is a dunkel weiss—a dark wheat beer—and is as authentic as anything you will ever run across in Bavaria. It pours a gorgeous hazy copper with the aforementioned massive head. Those in the know will tell you one of the main reasons to pour the way I do is that it really brings out the beer’s aroma. And this beer’s got distinctive aroma in spades. Imagine a typical Bavarian wheat’s banana/clove fruitiness mashed up with a healthy dose of caramel. It’s not as heavy body-wise as a few German dunkels out there, which only adds to the appeal—the fruit/caramel combo lingers throughout the sipping, with a chocolately effervescence on the end that gives you visions of a mad culinary scientist spiking a bottle of champagne with a shot of cacao. New Glarus has given us the perfect September beer: a refreshing fruitiness to remind us summer isn’t altogether dead yet, with a touch of darkness and body to let us know autumn is looming on the horizon. So next time you have loads of time to kill, grab a six-pack, pour, watch and enjoy. And when you’re pouring, be sure to tell all those beer-pouring experts where they can shove their advice. (In case you don’t know where that is, it’s right up the butt. Their butts, not yours.)

Reviewed by Eddie Glick on December 31, 2006.
Agree with this review?

Drinkin’ And Thinkin’

Beer Dorks News

Want to know how healthy the craft beer industry is? As always, look to Portland. Craft pioneer Bridgeport announces sudden closure, adding to a growing list of PDX casualties.
Did Anheuser-Busch Chicago offer their shit beer to Cody Parkey before his missed field goal? Because that may explain why he "accidentally" biffed it.
Chicago now has the most breweries of any city in the country. Other things Chicago has the most of: murders, mobsters, and Ditkas.
Trying to spin it positive, BA releases end of year graphic. Only 5% growth in the craft sector when nearly 1000 new breweries opened? That's a collapse waiting to happen.
R.I.P. Tallgrass... another casualty as the regional/national craft beer market continues to get squeezed.
Wait... Constellation Brands cut all of the Ballast Point and Funky Buddha sales staff? They merged it with their Corona/Modelo staff?? We're SHOCKED!!!
Pizza Beer founder crying about failure of company, blames everyone else. Reminder, the beer tasted like vomit. Try having better ideas or making better products so you're not a failure.
It's Bud Light so doesn't really matter, but we expect this beer to be sitting around for awhile.
Indiana brewery to open with controversial beer names to "get the conversation going". Translation: taking advantage of serious issues for free publicity.
Hundreds of amazing beers in Wisconsin and the Cubs took back the one everyone drinks just because it exists and people have heard of it. How fitting...